How Do I Get my Records Sealed?

October 27, 2017

By Keffer Hirschauer LLP

When an individual is looking to get their records sealed, that individual must follow a process by which they petition a court to limit access to certain government documents like arrest, or conviction records or records housed at various government agencies. This process requires a formal verified petition be filed in the particular court in the county where the conviction or arrest took place. The court will either grant or deny an individual’s specific request. Once that order is provided that an individual can serve that order on the various government agencies, letting them know a court has given them the right to seal these records.

Although the process itself seems straightforward, many individuals find themselves disappointed because they didn’t follow the technical requirements of the statute and petition courts appropriately. The attorneys at Keffer Hirschauer LLP are very familiar with this process. We are prepared to assist our clients, to make sure that this expungement petition that they file is successful and that they can put whatever criminal history they’re looking to seal behind them.