Bloomington Truck Accident Lawyer
Common Causes of Trucking Collisions in Bloomington, Indiana
Truck accidents can have many different causes, such as:
- Truck driver error, which may include drowsy driving, distracted driving, intoxicated driving, or aggressive driving;
- Motorist error, which can include, for example, drunk driving, distracted driving, aggressive driving, or fatigued driving;
- Improper loading of the truck bed;
- Negligent maintenance of the truck or another vehicle involved in the collision;
- Defective truck or auto part; or
- Inclement weather.
Liability for a Bloomington Truck Crash
Who is liable when a truck accident results in serious or fatal injuries? An experienced Bloomington truck accident attorney can look at the particular facts of your case to determine who may be responsible for your injuries, but any of the following people could potentially be liable:
- Truck driver;
- Trucking company;
- Truck owner;
- Truck mechanic;
- Driver of another vehicle involved in the crash;
- Company that loaded the truck;
- Designer of one of the truck parts; or
- Manufacturer of one of the truck parts.
How Comparative Fault Might Impact Your Bloomington Truck Accident Lawsuit
What will happen if the truck driver argues that you are also to blame for the trucking accident or for the seriousness of your injuries? For example, a truck driver might argue that you were speeding when the accident happened, or that you were not wearing a seat belt. According to Indiana’s comparative fault law, you will be eligible to recover damages as long as you are not more than 50 percent to blame. If you are 50 percent or less to blame, your damages award will be reduced by your portion of the fault. However, once you are more than 50 percent at fault, you will be barred from recovery.
If a truck driver or another defendant raises the issue of comparative fault, an experienced Indiana truck accident lawyer can put forward evidence to show that you do not bear any responsibility for the collision and that you are entitled to a full and complete damages award.
Seek Advice from a Truck Accident Lawyer in Bloomington
If you were seriously injured in a truck accident, or if you lost a loved one in a Bloomington trucking collision, it is essential to seek advice from one of our Bloomington truck accident attorneys as soon as possible. Trucking crashes can be devastating, resulting in substantial hospital bills and months or even years of lost wages. Our firm can help you to seek the financial compensation you need and deserve. Contact the office of Keffer Hirschauer LLP to learn more about how our firm can assist you with your truck accident case.