Lafayette Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
With just a look at the size of a motorcycle compared to other vehicles on the road, you can imagine the devastation for the rider in the event of a crash. Statistics reported in the Indiana Traffic Safety Facts demonstrate the frequency of these incidents, as there are around 115 motorcycle collisions in Tippecanoe County annually. Though they represent just 1.2 percent of all vehicle accidents, the rate of fatalities and catastrophic injuries disproportionately impacts motorcyclists. You could suffer substantial losses from motorcycle accident injuries, so it is a relief to know that you have options under Indiana law. It is possible to pursue the at-fault driver for monetary damages, and you can trust our team at Keffer Hirschauer LLP to assist with the process. Please contact us to set up a free consultation with a Lafayette motorcycle accidents lawyer who can explain your rights. You might also find it useful to review some of the basics.
Common Causes of Indiana Motorcycle AccidentsNegligence is the reason behind most motorcycle collisions, but this term means more than just mere carelessness in the practice of law. To prevail in a claim for compensation, you need to show that the at-fault motorist caused the accident by not exercising reasonable care. Examples of negligence include:
- Running red lights or stop signs;
- Texting, talking on the phone, or other unlawful cell phone use;
- Other forms of distracted driving, such as eating and adjusting the radio;
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Unlawful lane changes; and,
- Many other types of careless conduct.
Overview of the Legal Process for Motorcycle Crash ClaimsThese cases proceed in similar fashion to other motorized vehicle collisions, so your first step is filing a claim with the responsible motorist’s insurer. If you cannot resolve your claim by agreement, you will need to go to court to recover for medical costs, pain and suffering, and other compensation. At Keffer Hirschauer LLP, we are committed to protecting your rights at all stages of the legal process, including:
- Investigation and gathering evidence;
- Submitting claims forms and supporting documentation;
- Settlement negotiations with the insurance company;
- Mediation, when it would benefit your case; and,
- Litigation, filing essential court documents, discovery, and a trial.